Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I am a leader


I went to a retreat this weekend, and discovered things about myself. I am a surprisingly good leader. Why is that so surprising to me?

I've spent my whole life living small. I have never really wanted to be the 'president' of any organization that I have been in.

I've always thought of myself as a follower. Following other people, making them look good. I didn't want the leadership role. Mostly because it means that the 'buck stops here.'

But in truth, I have always taken on a large amount of responsibility for whatever group I'm in. I have always led. I just didn't know it. And the buck has always stopped here. Because if I don't accept responsibility - who will? Usually nobody.

I'm the one people come to when they don't know where else to turn. Because I will get it done, and if the project needs more than one pair of hands, I know how to get people to work together to "git 'er done."

It's time for me to accept the title of Leader (especially since I've nearly always accepted the responsibility that goes with it.)

We shall see how my life will change with this shift in perception. Wish me luck.

In Joy
Gayle McCain

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Hi, I popped into your blog this morning from Carma Dutra's blog. Very interesting. I also wanted to say hi to a fellow relative. I am a McCain also and since I have some family history, I know we are related. I think this is neat. Do you also write for children? Where do you live? I now live in Kearney, NE. I'm from southern California and my dad was from Texas. Let me know. Paulette.

Gayle McCain said...

Hi Paulette,

Welcome. Actually I'm not technically a McCain. I'm changing from my ex-husband's name forward to McCain. I didn't want to go back to my maiden name - too hard to spell. And McCain comes right after McCaffrey in the Sci Fi/Fantasy section at Borders Book Store. Easy to remember, easy to spell. And it sounds nice.

I write Fantasy - PG rated, but for adults. Middle Schooler and on up might be interested. I'm shopping for an agent right now for my first novel. I do have a couple of children's stories, but for the most part - I write for people over 12.

I live in KC. And have since I was 11, with brief periods away for college and a year in Texas when the oil industry went bust.

What's Kearney like? I knew a guy from there once - sold life insurance. Nice, but it didn't go anywhere.

Anyway, welcome. And do you have your own blog?
leave me the address & I'll visit you too.

Gayle